Stay healthy during a marathon with these tips
Published On: May 15 2014 10:40:11 AM CDT
But even if you're prepared to run a marathon and you've been training for months, there are still some health tips to follow before and after the race.
Mayo Clinic sports medicine expert Edward Laskowski, M.D., offers some pre-race tips:
- The day before the marathon, consume extra calories, especially high-carbohydrate foods such as bread, cereal, rice, pasta and/or potatoes.
- To enable fluid absorption, start drinking fluids at least four hours before exercise.
- Most marathoners find they perform better if they consume carbohydrates during the race. Sports drinks, bars and gels are good options.
- To avoid runners' diarrhea, at least one day before running, limit or avoid sweeteners called sugar alcohols — most often found in sugar-free candies, gum and ice cream. For three to six hours before running, limit or avoid caffeine and high-fat foods.
- After-marathon food should include protein, preferably peanut butter or string cheese, which you should eat within two hours after stepping off the course.
Missouri Tigers first home football game to draw in crowds near 60,000
Murder suspect may have stolen gun from his father
Family, friends say goodbyes to officer killed by drunk driver
The gun used in the killing of a 6 year old boy linked to the alleged killers father
Mid-Missouri law enforcement lead procession in honor of fallen officer
Man charged with murder in Callaway Co. child's death
New store brings business to Moberly
MU Police Department makes safety changes for game day