Columbia
46° F
Clear
Clear

Smoking sign damages Columbia restaurant

By ABC 17 News Staff, news@kmiz.com
Published On: Apr 13 2014 09:54:55 PM CDT
Updated On: Apr 13 2014 10:41:27 PM CDT
Fire damage

KMIZ

COLUMBIA, Mo. -

Employees at Ernie's Diner in downtown Columbia were praised Sunday for preventing a damaging fire.

According to the Columbia Fire Department, employees started to smell smoke in the diner just before 8 a.m. Sunday.

When firefighters arrived, they climbed on the roof and found a neon sign with an electrical problem had heated up a board behind it on the building's second floor. Crews said if the board had been allowed to heat much longer, it would likely have burst into flames.

The diner had the window and board covered Sunday afternoon. The Fire Marshal estimated damage to the building at around $8,000.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus