Columbia
50° F
Clear
Clear

Small fire closes University of Missouri dining hall

Published On: Aug 26 2013 04:08:06 PM CDT
Updated On: Aug 26 2013 04:21:32 PM CDT
Mark Twain dining hall fire

Columbia Fire Dept.

COLUMBIA, Mo. -

A small fire caused University of Missouri officials to temporarily close a dining facility Monday afternoon.

Around 1:16 p.m., Columbia fire crews were called to the Mark on 5th Street, a dining facility in Mark Twain Hall, for a report of a fire.

When firefighters arrived, they learned a small fire in the control unit of a large kitchen freezer had been extinguished by a University of Missouri police officer. The officer was on patrol nearby when the fire was first reported. He was able to put out the fire using a hand-held extinguisher.

The dining facility was evacuated while authorities extinguished the fire and cleaned up the damage.

Fire crews believe an electrical malfunction caused the freezer's control unit to catch on fire. Damage is estimated at $9,000 and there were no injuries reported.

The dining hall is set to reopen at 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus