Columbia
28° F
Overcast
Overcast

Official report: mistakes in deadly KC Plaza explosion

Published On: Feb 06 2014 11:29:30 AM CST
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -

Missouri Public Service Commission staff say in a report that Missouri Gas Energy failed to take "prompt and adequate" steps to ensure safety before a fatal restaurant explosion in Kansas City.

The 120-page report released Thursday says Missouri Gas Energy workers waited too long before checking whether gas levels had reached unsafe conditions inside JJ's restaurant on Feb. 19, 2013. An explosion and fire leveled the building, killing a JJ's employee and injuring more than a dozen people.

Authorities have said the explosion and fire were caused when a natural gas supply line was breached by a cable company's subcontractor.

The PSC staff also filed a complaint against MGE asking the commission to find the utility violated the agency's safety rules.

Officials with the utility declined immediate comment.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus