Experts say maintenance is crucial to home furnaces
This cold weather means people all over will be turning on their furnaces. However, this presents the danger of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that every year around 500 people die in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, and undetected exposure can be fatal.
Experts say the two biggest ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning are to have a functioning carbon monoxide detector in your home and to give your furnace regular and proper maintenance.
Whether you do it yourself, or hire someone to do it for you, experts say proper maintenance with your furnace is crucial.
"A crack in the heat exchanger will cause the carbon monoxide to be introduced into the duct work, which would then go into the house and could kill you," said Rob Sachse, heating and ventilation expert.
Experts say you can do it yourself, but if you don't know how to service or maintain a furnace it's best to hire a professional.
"The first maintenance is checking the heat exchanger, checking all the safety features, inspecting the blower, the gas valves and burner assembly," said Sachse.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be picked up at home improvement centers and most retail stores. The prices for these potential lifesavers start at just $35.
Copyright © 2013 KMIZ - The Networks of Mid-Missouri. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Man arrested for DWI after serious crash on Hwy. 54
Flooding causes road closures in Boone County
Heart of America Marathon finishes in downtown Columbia this morning
Manhunt Monday: Mid-Missouri's most wanted September 1
Emergency crews respond to water rescues
Bee Line Snack Shop robbed in the early hours of Labor Day
No gray area: Beliefs shape views of Brown killing
CEO expected to plead guilty in sweetener plant case
Mizzou Tigers excited for trip 'home' to Toledo