Ideas to encourage your kids to eat well
By Nikki, Pure Matters
Here at Pure Matters we often talk about healthy food options and great ways to get active; however, we don’t always focus on the little people in our lives. No, not the Roloff's… our kids!
How can we make sure our kids are eating wholesome, nutritious meals? More important, how can we get them to eat their veggies?! And how can we make sure they are getting enough exercise? Here are some helpful hints.
- Let them help. From picking out recipes and grocery shopping to helping out in the kitchen, if you keep your child involved, he or she will be more likely to eat what you serve.
- Set a good example. If your children see you making healthy food choices and taking time to exercise, they will be more likely to follow in your footsteps. On the flip side, be careful about your body image and expressing negative thoughts out loud. Love yourself!
- Give them options. Do you want the peas or the green beans? Do you want to play soccer or take dance? Let your children feel like they are the ones in charge and you will get a lot further than forcing them to do what you want.
- Eat as a family. And keep the TV off! Make sure your kids realize that taking time to savor and enjoy food is important. Not only will you be bonding as a family, but you’ll be teaching good eating habits in the process.
- Don’t use food as bribes, rewards or punishment. Food is nourishment and if it’s used for other things your child could develop an unhealthy relationship with food. Try using stickers or gold stars.
- Everything in moderation. (My favorite!) Sure, let them eat cake! But save it for special occasions. Then it will taste even better!
Source: Pure Matters
Copyright Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Hunter recovering after falling from tree
11 years later, family remembers Angie Yarnell
Two injured after falling from 18 feet in Stephens Lake Park
Man arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting son, daughter
Three Columbia homes searched, four people arrested
One taken to hospital after crash on Providence Road
Deadly shooting shatters quiet at Washington school
Wanted Columbia man arrested in northwest Missouri after long police chase
District football highlights: October 24