Bang! Boom! Keep pets safe during fireworks
Updated On: Jun 26 2013 08:48:41 AM CDT
They might be pretty, but fireworks can frighten your pets.
"Fireworks and other loud noises that occur at these holiday celebrations terrify most animals," said Brenna Ferranco, spokeswoman for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Santa Cruz, Calif.
Animal advocates urge pet owners to take simple precautions to make sure their pets are safe over the Independence Day holiday.
- Keep pets inside: The best situation for your pet is to be at home with you. If your holiday plans take you elsewhere, it is best to leave your pet inside the house. Sometimes frightened animals will try to seek refuge from noise and confusion by chewing through ropes, jumping fences or running away. Keeping them indoors will assure that they won't get lost.
- If you have an animal that is nervous or predisposed to stress, you might want to consult with your veterinarian about having tranquilizers on hand during the July 4 holiday.
- Crate-trained animals should be allowed to be loose in part of the house. SPCA officials say that animals can get hurt trying to escape their crate.
- Make sure your pets are wearing proper identification. Just in case your pet does run away during a fireworks display, your chances of finding the animal are much better if it is wearing an ID tag. Cats should always wear break-away collars that will allow them to get free if the collar gets caught on something.
- If your pet gets lost, begin a search immediately. Contact your local animal control, humane society and SPCA.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Father of Randy Chugg gives son Purple Heart
Missing Pulaski County 4-year-old found
Columbia man killed in Interstate 70 crash
4 Sedalia residents killed in single-car crash
MU police report weekend campus rape
Judge denies teenage killer's request to set aside her guilty plea
Missing plane: What we know and don't know
Centralia man arrested for sex crimes against child